Sunday 18 March 2012

Wedding photography at The South Causey Inn, County Durham

North east wedding photographer Jamie Emerson of Emerson Photography - documentary north east wedding photographer at the South Causey Inn, Stanley, Durham.

Wedding day shoes at South Causey Inn by Emerson Photography
 Yesterday found me at South Causey Inn, Stanley, Co. Durham for the Spring wedding of Joanne and Graham.  Wedding photography is a funny old game, never more so than when it comes to weddings which are slightly out of season.  I gave up checking the long term weather forecast years ago - if it rains, it rains, if it's sunny and bright, great!  There's always a way of getting stunning photos, even when driving sleet does its best to spoil everything.

Kir Royale - a great pre-wedding drink for brides at Soth Causey Inn, shot by Jamie Emerson
Joanne and Graham's wedding day started off a bit chilly but with plenty of sunshine.  South Causey Inn has changed dramatically since my last wedding there, nearly two years ago.  Gone is the big, old, spidery barn at the back of the premises.  It's been replaced by a set of smart terraced bungalows - a kind of wedding village if you will - it reminded me a little of the conveyor belt that is Gretna Green, but that, thankfully is where the comparison ends.

Bridesmaid preparing at South Causey Inn, Stanley.

Bridal preparation photograph taken at South Causey Inn near Beamish, by Emerson Photography

Another new addition is a huge, airy function room with a great mix of a traditional looking timbered ceiling and large modern windows and skylights.  The light comes flooding in here and creates a fantastic atmosphere.  At the risk of getting all 'Grand Designs' about it, there is also now a long, tunnel shaped ceremony room which easily held all of Joanne and Graham's guests.  This room was lit by a plethora of candles and dressed beautifully.  Very cosy indeed!

Candles in the new ceremony room at South Causey Inn by Emerson photography

The bokeh effect from a Nikon 50mm f1.4 lens at a North East wedding

North East wedding venue, South Causey Inn, by Emerson Photography

Joanne hadn't been sure about having bridal preparation shots.  I never push my clients into having them, but I do perhaps, gently nudge them!  My take on it is; I'm there anyway - let me take the photos and if you hate them, you never need to look at them - and I promise not to get in the way!  I've yet to encounter a bride who's had anything bad to say about her photos of that excited, nervous, fun hour or so before the ceremony.

Reportage North east wedding photographer Jamie Emerson at the South Causey Inn

The ceremony was heartfelt, but not without its share of laughs, not least when Joanne muddled up her vows a little and had to start again!

Bride laughing at North East wedding venue by Emerson Photography

 The readings were amongst the best I've heard, especially Edward Monkton's


"I like this Dinosaur thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur.


Although he is fierce he is also tender and he is funny.

He is also quite clever though I will not tell him this for now.

 
I like this Lovely Other Dinosaur, thought the Dinosaur.

She is beautiful and she is different and she smells so nice.

She is also a free spirit which is a quality I much admire in a dinosaur."


Wedding confetti photograph outside the South Causey Inn near sunderland
After the ceremony, we ushered everyone outside for a confetti shot, followed by a few posed formals at the front of the Causey Inn, before settling into the big, new hall for some well deserved food and drink (alas, not for me though - my job was done and I left to enjoy walking Kasper the dog in the Spring sunshine)!


The new hall with its huge skylights at the South Causey Inn, Beamish, by Jamie Emerson

No comments: